Buildings in Burnham-On-Sea
The stories behind the town's best-known landmarks
building boom sweeps Burnham
Many of Burnham's best-known buildings were erected
around the 1830s - Bath House in 1830, Kinver Terrace in 1843 (then
known as Pruen's Terrace); and the development of Regent Street (pictured
right) and College Street, including the Baptist Chapel. Burnham-On-Sea
therefore makes for a good case study for examining Somerset architecture
in the 1800s.
The Customs House, which is now a private residence, was built in 1846
on the Esplanade. The foundation stone for the pier as laid in 1857
and the 900-foot structure was officially opened the following year.
The Railway line from Highbridge to Burnham was opened in 1858 and the
track ran on from the station to the end of the jetty at that time.
A regular pleasure steamer service to Cardiff, Ilfracombe and Bristol
called at Burnham and operated until the early 1900s but an accumulation
of river silt eventually rendered the jetty unsuitable for the service
In 1855 the National School Establishment was erected on the Esplanade
by George Reed, the town's foremost citizen of that period. He was also
responsible for the erection of the two fine terraces at the end of
the North Esplanade known as Julia Terrace and Catherine Terrace which
were named after his two daughters. George Reed's home was the Manor
House, now used by the District Council, and the Manor Gardens were
his own private garden at that time. He was also responsible for the
building of the Reed's Arms, now known as the Queen's Hotel. Burnham-On-Sea
therefore makes for a good case study to follow the development of Somerset
architecture down the ages.
The Burnham Lifeboat
St Andrew's Church
Important Dates in Burnham's history