May 14, 2007
Burnham-On-Sea phone mast goes... as new one appears
phone operator O2 dismantled its controversial phone mast in the
centre of Burnham-On-Sea on Monday morning (May 14th)... as a
new 'temporary' mast was erected just a few hundred metres away
in a nearby street.
reported in March
how the Planning Inspectorate had branded the Marine Drive mast
"jarring, ill proportioned, top heavy and over-obtrusive."
gave the mobile phone giant two months to remove the mast - and
on Monday O2's contractors dismantled the structure.
at the same time, a new mast sprung up next to the town's lifeboat
station in Pier Street.
local residents have already voiced concerns about the new temporary
mast, pictured below, and are vowing to campaign for it to be
resident, who asked not to be named, told Burnham-On-Sea.com:
"Placing a new mast like this near our homes without any
advance notice is just not on - it's a monstrosity."
spokesman Angela Johnson told Burnham-On-Sea.com last week that
the Marine Drive structure would be removed and that O2 is working
hard to find a permanent location for a mast.
Planning Inspectorate's decision came after an Enforcement Order
was placed on O2 by Sedgemoor District Council last year when
the company's six-month 'temporary' installation expired.
submitted a five-page appeal against the Order, and this in turn
sparked an enquiry by the government's Planning Inspectorate.
An inspector visited the site in