October 4, 2007
toilets in Burnham-On-Sea 'will remain closed until 2008'
block of public toilets in Burnham-On-Sea will remain closed until
next spring at the earliest, it was confirmed this week.
this year how the building in Seaview Road (pictured) had been
shut by owners Sedgemoor District Council in April after a spate
of anti-social behaviour.
left a question mark over the future of the premises - and town
councillors have expressed further concern this week that the
building could even be sold off by owners Sedgemoor District Council.
Faun, the district couuncil's spokeswoman, told Burnham-On-Sea.com:
"They were originally shut on the advice of the police -
the Town Council were consulted at that stage."
had been 'unsavoury' activity there, which was felt to have posed
a risk to the public and our cleaning staff. As such, there are
no plans to re-open them during the quieter winter season."
Deputy Mayor, Nevile Jones, this week hit out at the length of
time the facilities have been closed.
can't understand why they have been closed quite so long. We know
there have been problems here, but people want these facilities
open again," he told a meeting of fellow town councillors.
find it incredible that they have been closed for over six months
now and I have concerns that we are ever going to get them back."
Chris Williams agreed, saying "the longer they are closed,
the more permanent the closure will become."
sign outside the building currently directs users to other public
loos at Crosses Penn near Manor Gardens, the Yacht Club, and next
to the Tourist Information Centre.
forces closure of public toilets in Burnham
and bad news for public toilet users in Burnham-On-Sea
toilets in Burnham-On-Sea threatened by district cash cuts