Published: January 22, 2009
Mixed reaction as plans for Burnham's Marine Cove gardens are unveiled

A brand new image showing how Burnham-On-Sea's Marine Cove gardens will look after a renovation project is completed was unveiled for the first time on Thursday (January 22nd) - but the proposals have drawn mixed reactions.

Harley Cook, Sedgemoor's Parks and Open Spaces Officer, displayed the 3D image at Thursday's meeting of Burnham Chamber of Trade and Commerce.

The image, pictured here, illustrates how the seafront gardens will look in three years time after the project - which is expected to cost in the region of £670,000 - is completed.

"We plan to remove the boarded-up shelters and replace them with new ones, remove the front wall, restore the pond, introduce new pathing and seating, and renovate the fountain," said Mr Cook, who added that the new gardens would use "vandal-proof" materials.

But the scheme - which is hoping to secure National Lottery funding - was not unanimously supported by members of the Chamber Of Trade, who questioned the long wait for results.

"This is the third year that the shelters have been boarded up and we're being told it could be another three years before the renovation is complete," businessman Geoff Shickle told Thursday's meeting.

"These ghastly shelters should be demolished as soon as possible to make the gardens more attractive. Rather than spend more money on consultants and designs, we should be getting a few local benefactors together and starting the work as soon as possible."

"The current problems have been created by Sedgemoor District Council's neglect and their own 'vandalism' of these gardens - it's all very well to blame youngsters for the damage, but Sedgemoor has not being setting the right example itself," he added.

Burnham-On-Sea.com reported earlier this month that Sedgemoor District Council is holding a 'Marine Cove Gardens Awareness Day' on Thursday 19th February at the Princess Hall, from 3pm - 7pm, when a new 'Friends of Marine Cove' group will be formed.

Burnham-On-Sea.com was first to report last year how a petition had been launched by Sedgemoor District Council last summer to gather support for the £670,000 scheme to renovate the gardens, however just 107 people signed up in support of the gardens.

In March 2008, the disrtrict council made a submission to the Heritage Lottery Fund's 'Parks For People' programme. The bid covers bringing back lost features such as a sundial, water fountain and seating, plus restoring the shelters and more.

RELATED LINKS:

Only 100 people sign petition to save Marine Cove
Vandals strike Burnham's Marine Cove gardens again
Survey boost for bid to revamp Burnham's Marine Cove gardens
Burnham residents get their say on future of Marine Cove
Shelters at Burnham's Marine Cove attacked by vandals
Vandals target Marine Cove gardens
Marine Cove Trafalagar gates officially opened





Search Burnham-On-Sea.com|Add Burnham-On-Sea.com to your Bookmarks|Send a mail from Burnham-On-Sea.com|Print this page|Back to previous page|Discuss this article|

Live Burnham-On-Sea Seafront Webcam

24-hour live pictures
See live images from the seafront and beach with Burnham's Webcam. Click here