May 18, 2009
fire crews tackle kitchen fire in Highbridge
were the scenes in Highbridge on Monday evening (May 18th) when
20 residents of a flats complex were briefly evacuated following
a kitchen fire.
crews equipped with breathing apparatus were called to General
Higgins House in Southwell Crescent at 6pm.
fire appliance from Burnham was initially mobilised to a fire
alarm signal received via Southern Monitoring. A second call was
received from the premises stating this was a fire, and a second
appliance from Burnham was then mobilised," a fire spokesman
told Burnham-On-Sea.com at the scene.
arrival, crews confirmed there was a smoke issuing from a cooker,
and used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to cool
a pan involved."
removed one gentleman from the property and administered oxygen.
Crews also requested an ambulance to the scene for two elderly
gentlemen suffering from shock."
added that the cause of the fire had been accidental and that
the kitchen had suffered some light smoke damage. The residents
were evacuated as a precaution.