June 9, 2009
over regeneration 'snub' for Burnham-On-Sea
Burnham-On-Sea regeneration bosses and residents have reacted
with anger to the news that the town is not to receive a single
penny of funding from the South West Regional Development Agency
over the next two years.
Burnham-On-Sea.com reported on Monday how SWRDA had announced
the line-up of regeneration schemes across the region which will
share £260million of funding - but Burnham's Civic Pride
project was not on the list.
statement released by the agency on Monday morning, referring
to Burnham, stated simply: "The RDA has invested some funding
in the initial feasibility and study work for this proposed public
realm improvement project. In line with our policy decision set
out earlier on 'public realm' investments, we will not provide
any further funding."
councillor Neville Jones called the decision a "disgrace"
and told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "Matched funding of £750,000
was promised to Burnham many years ago."
"We have been waiting in the queue longer than any other
town, so we feel terribly let down."
has written to SWRDA outlining why the money is urgently needed
for the town centre's Civic Pride scheme.
has lost out again to Weston, Bridgwater and Taunton - and we're
not going to let it lie."
District Council spokeswoman Claire Faun told Burnham-On-Sea.com:
"Sedgemoor District Council is extremely disappointed that
the Civic Pride Programme in Burnham has been a casualty of the
regional cuts. This
programme has been evolving since 2002 and it is deeply frustrating
for the Council and the local community that the funding to implement
the plans has been withdrawn at this important stage."
MP, David Heathcoat-Amory, also attacked the decision and said
he would be taking up the matter in Parliament, as reported here.
Our picture shows Counillor Neville Jones and other residents
who are unhappy at the decision to withdraw funding for Burnham-On-Sea