October 28, 2010
victory for people power! Residents win seafront flats fight
were underway in a Burnham-On-Sea street on Thursday (October
28th) after residents won their long-running campaign to halt
a seafront home being replaced with an 'obtrusive' block of 13
Planning Inspectorate has rejected an appeal by property developer
Moose Roper Limited to try and overturn the district council's
decision to turn down proposals for a huge three-storey building
at the end of Allandale Road.
was first to
report in July that the developer behind the controversial
proposals had lodged a formal appeal with the Planning Inspectorate.
inspector Chris Anscombe this week announced that the appeal
had been thrown out on the grounds that the proposed development
would have adversely impacted the character and appearance of
the surrounding area.
He explained: "Whilst the appellants claim that the design
is of a high quality, it lacks the detailing, finesse and delight
of such properties which exist in both Allendale Road and Grove
Road to the south."
"Whilst an attempt was made to hide the proposed third floor
accommodation within the roof space, that roof space would be
very bulky and significantly higher by comparison."
He added: "The proposed development would still be far greater
in massing and scale than any of the existing buildings in Allendale
Road or Grove Road. It would be set much closer to the sea wall
above the beach than the adjacent houses at the end of Grove Road
and, unlike the existing dwelling on the site, it would be obtrusive."
residents, pictured above on Thursday evening, welcomed the news.
John Spottiswoode told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "Common sense
has prevailed - we're over the moon at the Planning Inpsectorate's
Gary Moorshead added: "We're delighted - we couldn't have
lived here if the development had gone ahead."
Mackie said: "The proposed building would have destroyed
the street scene at the end of the road - the building would also
have been less than five metres from the sea wall would have been
at risk during stormy high tides."
David Jenkins of the Allandale Road Action Group explained to
Burnham-On-Sea.com earlier in the year why the residents were
against the scheme: "The proposed block of flats would have
represented over-development, be out-of-keeping with this area,
and also would have intruded onto the beach scene."
They also felt the application would have set a dangerous precedent
for other development along Burnham's coastline.
application was considered by district councillors on Sedgemoor's
Development Control Committee in April.
They rejected the plans, going against the recommendation of the
previously won a bid in
November 2008 to get the first planning application, for 14
flats, rejected on appeal by the Planning Inspectorate.
the developers then submitted a new, amended planning application
with one less flat and a different building design that they argue
fits in better with the surroundings.