29, 2010 In
photos: Fire crews tackle caravan blaze after explosion
crews believe a leaking gas cylinder caused an explosion which
completely destroyed this caravan near Burnham-On-Sea on Sunday
evening (August 29th).
fire engines from Burnham and a further rescue tender from Taunton
rushed to a camp site at Dutch Cottage in Dutch Road, Mark, at
5.50pm after residents reported hearing an explosion when the
caravan burst into flames.
Fire crews used water jets and breathing apparatus to
damp down the burning remains of the vehicle, which was completely
destroyed, as pictured here.
resident David Preston told Burnham-On-Sea.com at the scene: "We
heard an explosion and looked outside to see thick smoke coming
out of the caravan, which then burst into flames."
initial concerns that someone could be inside, police and an ambulance
crew were also called to the scene, but no-one was found.
fire spokesman told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "Initial reports
believed there to be persons inside but this was confirmed not
to be the case. The crews confirmed one caravan was well alight
and the police had located the occupiers."
added that the blaze is thought to have been caused by a leaking
gas cylinder which was ignited by the caravan's fridge.
live pictures See live images of the seafront and beach with
Burnham's Webcam. Click
to see and do Check the constantly updated Burnham-On-Sea.com
calendar for what's happening. Click
in Burnham! Support local traders by shopping in town -
see our A-Z index of businesses. Click
video news Watch video highlights of events across Burnham
with these video clips. Click
gallery Hundreds of photos from events across the
Burnham-On-Sea area. Click