December 21, 2010
dog owner's anger after pet swallows fishing hook and line
furious dog owner has hit out at seafront fishermen in Burnham-On-Sea
after his spaniel was injured after swallowing a discarded fishing
hook, line and bait on Monday night (December 20th).
Wyton was walking his seven year-old dog, Archie, along The Esplanade
when it found the fishing equipment.
told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "Archie somehow managed to find
a discarded hook and line with bait still on it."
ate it and this resulted in him having major surgery to remove
two huge hooks overnight."
is totally down to irresponsible behaviour by a mindless fisherman.
I am totally disgusted and obviously upset that my dog has had
to go through this."
hook and bait could have been picked up by a wild animal, such
as a fox, which would have resulted in the animal dying in considerable
says he has been given a £600 bill so far from the vet -
a figure that will further rise each day his dog is kept in intensive
is now considering whether to take legal action against Sedgemoor
District Council. "If they allow people to fish from the
seafront, then they should ensure it is done safely," he
his dog is expected to be in intensive care until Thursday. "We'll
then have to keep him very quiet over Christmas to allow the injuries
to heal and the stitches to disolve."
above is seven year-old Archie, the spaniel who was injured on
Monday night on Burnham's seafront