November 19, 2010
fire crews called to Highbridge kitchen blaze
fire crews were called to a kitchen blaze at a home in Highbridge
on Friday evening (November 19th).
Burnham fire engines were sent to a property on the corner of
West Avenue and South Avenue at 5.35pm, as pictured here.
fire spokesperson told Burnham-On-Sea.com that a burning grill
pan had caused a small blaze, although damage was fortunately
incident comes during the same week that Devon And Somerset Fire
Service has warned residents in the Burnham area about the rising
danger of kitchen fires.
figures show 40% of accidental fires in the home are started by
cooking, with distraction being the main cause.
The service's Group Manager Glenn Askew said: "Most, if
not all, fires involving cooking could be easily prevented."
He said there are several things residents can do to prevent
fires when using a cooker. "Make sure you dont get
distracted when cooking, turn saucepans so the handles don't stick
out over the edge of the hob or over another ring, keep anything
that can catch fire away from your cooker top, double check that
the cooker is off when you have finished cooking, keep the oven,
hob and grill clean, take care if youre wearing loose clothing
when cooking, and don't cook if you have been drinking alcohol
or feel drowsy," he advised.