residents call for council U-turn over seafront golf course
concerned group of Burnham-On-Sea residents has this week called
on town councillors to withdraw their support of controversial
plans for a new mini golf course on the town's seafront.
reported last week
how the proposed course on a grassy area of the South Esplanade
had been approved by the council's planning applications committee.
a group of residents, pictured above, attended the town council's
full meeting on Monday evening (June 7th) to demand councillors
"rescind" their decision.
Ann Popham explained: "This is open community land for everyone
to enjoy. It was opened in 1938 and yet the golf course would
see a large area completely fenced off."
told councillors: "It is your job to look after local people
- these proposals are not in the public's interest. The council
will lose revenue from car parking, there will be disastrous noise,
and the new food shop will attract seagulls."
District Council's executive committee is due to decide on Wednesday
(June 9th) whether the lease for the grassy area will be made
available to entrepreneur Paul Chatwin.
Chatwin said his course will be "sensitively designed"
to minimise the impact on local residents. He added that there
are "an awful lot of inaccuracies" being quoted by residents.
hopes the proposed tourist attraction will attract new visitors
to the town and help to boost the local economy, as first reported
here by Burnham-On-Sea.com
councillors cautiously voted against changing their decision,
Ken Smout telling Monday's meeting: "I would like some protection
placed on the land to protect the long-term interests of the town
and be mindful of the concerned residents."