October 19, 2010
nuclear power stations move closer at Hinkley Point
new nuclear power stations will be built at Hinkley Point, energy
secretary Chris Huhne has confirmed this week.
The minister has dropped plans for new reactors at three existing
nuclear plants around Britain but given a 'green light' to the
development of another eight nationwide.
Among them is Hinkley Point, near Burnham-On-Sea, and anti-nuclear
campaigners have this week voiced their anger and pledged to step
up their battle.
As reported by Burnham-On-Sea.com on Monday, Mr Huhne also rejected
the proposed £30 billion Severn Barrage from Brean Down
to Cardiff - although entrepreneur Gareth Woodham is still
pressing ahead with his scheme.
Anti-nuclear group Stop Hinkley has said this week it is disappointed
that the Severn tidal schemes had been abandoned.
Spokesman Crispin Aubrey warned there was no justification for
giving the green light to Hinkley, as the safety issues had not
gone away, including health, accidents, terrorism plus the risks
of storing radioactive waste for 100 years.
But Gary Smith of the GMB union said: "These new nuclear
power stations are absolutely essential and we need to get on
with building them without further delay."