power wins as plans for 53 new Burnham homes are rejected
Residents were celebrating on Tuesday (June 15th) after proposals
to build 53 new homes in Burnham-On-Sea were turned down by the
district council for a second time.
Homes had applied to build a new estate on the former Worston
refuse tip to the west of Lawrence Close.
first reported in March
that the developer had submitted a new proposal to Sedgemoor District
Council to build the homes, despite plans for 69 homes at the
same site being turned down last summer.
controversial scheme attracted 40 complaints from residents and
an objection from the Town Council - but the application had been
recommended for approval by the council's planning case officer.
councillors voted in favour of supporting the residents and turned
down the scheme at a meeting of Sedgemoor's Development Control
Committee in Bridgwater on Tuesday.
resident Nigel Kemp, who spoke out against the plans at the meeting,
told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "We're delighted that the application
has been turned down again. The concerns we raised were were listened
to and properly considered."
proposals by reason of their design and layout would have given
rise to development that would be out of keeping with the character
and density of the surrounding development in the locality and
would have failed to compliment the character of the local area,
to the detriment of this location."
also raised concerns about traffic generation and flooding risks
at the site.
added: "The right decision has been made, but we fully expect
the developer to come back with an amended application later in
application featured 14 two-bedroom, 36 three-bedroom and three
four-bedroom houses, in addition to almost 100 car parking spaces.
Persimmon Homes is now going back to the drawing board to put
together new plans for the site.
Bob Filmer, who spoke on behalf of the residents at Tuesday's
meeting, told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "I'm very pleased that
the committee supported the views of local residents. I know that
Persimmon were at the meeting and hope that they will take the
opportunity to talk with residents and local representatives to
try to achieve a development we can all be proud of."
campaign against the development was led by residents Trevor Berry,
Bryn Heaton, Nigel Kemp and Melvyn Fooks.