residents launch fight to halt 53 new homes
group of worried Burnham-On-Sea residents have this week launched
a campaign to stop a property developer building 53 homes on an
area of green space in the town.
than 30 residents from the Lawrence Close area held a meeting
in the town where they unanimously agreed to fight Persimmon Homes'
plans to create a huge new housing development on a former landfill
site to the north of Wallace Wells Road.
first reported last Wednesday
that the developer had submitted a new proposal to Sedgemoor District
Council to build the homes, despite plans for 69 homes at the
same site being refused
campaign is being led by residents Trevor Berry, Bryn Heaton,
Nigel Kemp and Melvyn Fooks (pictured at the top of this page).
told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "There is a great deal of concern
about traffic issues, the out-of-keeping nature of the proposed
homes, over-development and the potential for flooding."
this new scheme includes fewer homes than last year's proposals,
the amount of space being swallowed up by the development is the
new proposals include 14 two-bedroom, 36 three-bedroom and three
four-bedroom houses, in addition to almost 100 car parking spaces.
said more than 150 leaflets explaining the plans have been posted
through letterboxes in the area to alert residents to the proposals
are ask for letters of objection to be sent to Sedgemoor District
Council before the March 24th deadline.
group also plans to lobby Burnham and Highbridge Town Council
and local district councillors for support. Part of the land was
formerly used for landfill and is owned by Sedgemoor District
are residents at this week's protest meeting held in Highbridge