December 21, 2010
welcomes start of consultation
MP has this week welcomed the start of a public consultation period
on burying new power lines in our area underground in place of
building huge pylons across the countryside.
comes after National
Grid's controversial plans for a 400,000 volt, 37-mile
line linking Hinkley Point with a sub-station at Avonmouth, running
past Burnham-On-Sea, provoked a storm of complaints earlier this
National Grid is inviting feedback from the general public until
16th March 2011 on the 'undergrounding' of power lines.
Tessa Munt told Burnham-On-Sea.com this week: "This is a
real stride for people power - it's nice to know that National
Grid is listening."
"Over the past 14 months National Grid has been consulting
the public about proposals to build a new overhead line between
Bridgwater and Avonmouth. The line is needed to connect the proposed
new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point."
"National Grid initially proposed two potential routes for
the 152ft tall overhead pylons. These monster pylons would ruin
our countryside, wreck our tourism, reduce house prices, and compromise
forever our chances of gaining World Heritage Site or even National
Park status. Visitors are essential to Somersets economy,
but who will want to visit or holiday in a county whose countryside
is scarred by these vast, metal towers, humming continuously and
lit like Christmas trees only all year round?"
"National Grid has said that it has delayed announcing its
preferred route corridor till early 2011. This is the second delay
to the announcement. It was originally due to be announced in
Spring of this year. National Grid then announced in November
2010 that it would carry out a detailed appraisal to assess all
the different options, including underground and subsea cables,
as well as overhead lines, before announcing its decision."
"This in itself was a huge success. The largest consultation
response National Grid had ever received was about 300, but with
the Pylon issue here in Somerset they have received over 3,000.
On December 15th National Grid announced a public consultation
nationally on when the company should underground electricity
cables. The move follows this massive outcry from the people of
Somerset objecting to National Grid's proposal."
"I am happy to support the No Moor Pylons group in asking
people in the area to respond to the consultation with a firm
'NO' to new overhead lines. The consultation precedes what is
expected to be the largest roll out of new electricity power lines
in a generation."
"Burying electricity cables may be more expensive but, according
to National Grid, the cost is only about £1 per person per
year for this project. A 2009 consumer survey by Ofgem found that
52 per cent of consumers were willing to pay more on their energy
bills to have overhead cables removed."
"The consultation document Undergrounding high voltage
electricity transmission the technical issues produced
by National Grid is heavily weighted towards overhead lines but
this attitude is something we can change by enough of us commentating
and supporting the underground option."
"This is a fight we are winning thanks to the well organised,
professional and passionate No Moor Pylons group and the hard
work of the people of Somerset."
National Grid spokesman said: "We last reviewed our undergrounding
policy in the early 1990s. We are now seeking views on how the
policy should be updated from industry, political, non-governmental
and environmental stakeholders as well as the public between 15
December and 16 March 2011. Once the consultation is completed,
we'll carefully consider all the feedback received. The feedback
will be used to inform our new approach to undergrounding, which
we plan to publish in April 2011."
National Grid consultation website can be accessed here.