April 26, 2011
on Highbridge gambling arcade plan is delayed
to turn this former tattoo shop in Highbridge into a new gambling
arcade have been delayed.
District Council's Licensing and Gambling Panel was due to make
a decision at its latest meeting on whether the plans to open
the 'Casino Slots' arcade at 2 Market Street could go ahead.
the application has been postponed while the Gambling Commission
is consulted on the plans and relevant paperwork is raised. Once
this in place, the district will consider the plans.
this year, town councillors lodged an official objection over
Sedgemoor's decision to grant approval to the plans, as first
revealed by Burnham-On-Sea.com here.
Burnham and Highbridge Town Council is objecting on the grounds
of protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being
harmed or exploited by gambling.
Sedgemoor District Council approved the plans earlier this year,
subject to the opening hours being restricted to 9am to 6pm on
Mondays to Saturdays, and 10am to 4pm on Sundays.
Steve Atkinson from Sedgemoor District Council said the restricted
opening hours had been put in place "to safeguard local residents
from noise and disturbance during unsocial hours."
The owner of the proposed arcade, Mike Childs, has said that
no under-age gamblers will be permitted to use the gambling machines
and that the facilities would be another facility for people in