March 30, 2011
of an era as Highbridge's Beechfield School is demolished
end of an era unfolded in Highbridge this week when the
towns former Beechfield School came crashing down, as pictured
The school closed last year, as reported
here, when Beechfield and St Johns merged to form the
new Churchfield School.
A team of contractors from Somerset County Council have been
busily demolishing the buildings to make way for new buildings
later in the year.
council's Elizabeth Smith told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "The spoil
from the demolition will be crushed on site and used as the piling
mat - or foundations - for the new school."
"The crushing is currently scheduled to take place during
the Easter holidays and completion is planned for 21 April."
"We will shortly be going to tender for the main build,
with work programmed to start in early July 2011."
Originally called Highbridge Infants School, the property opened
on September 9th 1913.
After St John's Junior School opened alongside the Infants School
in 1973 there appeared to be a problem of identity for the two
schools, so it was decided to change the name of the infants school