March 26, 2011
firefighters tackle house blaze in Berrow
from Burnham-On-Sea and Bridgwater were called to tackle a house
fire in the centre of Berrow on Saturday (March 26th).
Two fire engines from Burnham and a further engine from Bridgwater
were called to the property in Berrow Road at 11.16am, as pictured
here, after thick black smoke was seen pouring from the roof.
used four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets and a covering
jet to bring the blaze under control, which caused extensive damage
to the roof and first floor of the building.
Speaking to Burnham-On-Sea.com at the scene, fire officer Dick
Solomon said: "The fire is believed to have been caused by
heat from the plume of a coal fire radiating to the roof. We used
a range of equipment and numerous ladders to extinguish the fire."
House owner Colin Cave told Burnham-On-Sea.com he and his wife
had managed to escaped the house unhurt.
first indication we had that something was wrong was when the
bulbs started flickering."
"Then I looked outside and saw some smoke and thought it
was a neighbour's bonfire, but was shocked to then notice smoke
coming from our roof."
"My wife and I quickly escaped the building and we called
for the fire brigade."
He thanked the crews for their prompt work in tackling the fire.
"I am full of praise for what they have done. We are very
grateful for their help," he said.
Damage was confined to the first floor, 30% of roof by fire and
heat, 20% remainder of roof by heat, 10% to first floor by smoke
and water damage.
Berrow Road was temporarily closed while emergency services were
at the scene and queues of traffic built up through the village,
as pictured below. Click here
for video footage of the scene in Berrow.
The incident caused long queues of traffic either side of
Berrow village centre