July 13, 2011
fire crews tackle blaze at town home
Burnham-On-Sea fire engines were sent to tackle a house blaze
in the town on Tuesday evening (July 12th).
Crews arrived to find smoke coming from a first floor window
of the home in Beatty Way.
A window frame and a window ledge has been set alight due to
an unattended candle.
A fire spokesman told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "The fire was
extinguished by crew using breathing apparatus and a hose reel
"The occupier had also attempted to extinguish the fire
prior to arrival of the crews using a garden hose."
The crews also used a positive pressure ventilation fan to remove
smoke from the property.
The fire caused 15% damage to the window frame and ledge and
50% smoke damage to the room of origin.
Smoke detectors were only fitted on the ground floor of the property
and so crews also fitted an extra detector on the first floor.