cobweb blamed for fire alert at Burnham-On-Sea home!
spider's web caused an unusual call-out for Burnham-On-Sea firefighters
on Monday (December 12th).
One fire crew rushed to a property in The Grove at 4.25pm after
its fire alarm sounded.
"The building was checked over by the crews, but no trace
of a fire was found. On inspecting the fire alarm, it's thought
that a spider's web on a sensor caused the incident," fire
spokesman Paul Slavin told Burnham-On-Sea.com.
"Smoke detectors rely on sensitive sensors to detect changes
in air quality, temperature or light. Over time, dust and spider
webs might build up in the smoke detector and interfere with the
"A smoke detector might go off because the debris simulates
smoke or fire in the eye of the detector. Our advice is to clean
off cobwebs and dust on a regular basis."