July 26, 2011
photos: Discarded cigarette sparks grass fire in Burnham-On-Sea
A discarded cigarette is thought to have caused a big grass
blaze next to Burnham-On-Sea's Frank Foley Parkway on Tuesday
were the scenes when fire crews were called to extinguish the
blaze at 4.20pm.
An area of grassland measuring 40 metres by 20 metres was destroyed
before crews managed to bring the fire under control.
"Two crews used a hose reel jet and fire beaters to bring
the fire under control by 4.38pm," spokesman Paul Slavin
told Burnham-On-Sea.com. The fire is believed to have been caused
accidentally, possibly by a discarded cigarette. He urged walkers
to be extra vigilant during dry weather.
Pictured: Crews at the scene of Tuesday's grass fire in Burnham
(Pics: Rob Coombes / Mike Lowe)