March 9, 2011
for 51 Burnham-On-Sea homes get council 'thumbs down'
proposals to build 51 new homes in Burnham-On-Sea were given a
thumbs down by town councillors on Wednesday evening (March 9th).
A total of 55 formal
objections have been lodged by residents living near Lawrence
Close, where Persimmon Homes wants to build a new housing
development on open land next to the former Worston Road refuse
controversial plans have been rejected twice before by Sedgemoor
District Council - initially when the application was for 69 homes
in the summer of 2009, then for 53 homes last year.
Persimmon has submitted a third planning application to Sedgemoor
District Council for 51 homes at the site. Its latest plans were
submitted on February 11th.
of the Town Council's Planning Applications Committee considered
the proposals on Wednesday evening and unimously decided to object
against the scheme.
Peter Burridge Clayton told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "We supported
the residents on the basis that the proposals would represent
an over-development and be out of keeping with the surrounding
area. There are also concerns about traffic parking, drainage
and the risk of flooding."
scheme includes 11 two-bedroom homes, 29 three-bedroom houses
and 11 four-bedroom houses, in addition to 88 car parking spaces.
controversial plans have attracted 55 complaints from residents,
who were delighted last year when the previous proposals were
turned down - as pictured right.
resident told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "The latest plans are an
improvement on the two previous schemes, but we still have many
reservations and concerns."
feel the proposed homes would be out of keeping with the character
of the surrounding development, would create an unreasonable amount
of extra traffic, and also raise the risk of flooding."
scheme now goes before Sedgemoor District Council for a final
decision over the next few weeks.