Published: October 31, 2011
Council backs Burnham-On-Sea residents' fight over 51 new homes


Concerned residents who are fighting controversial proposals for 51 new homes in Burnham-On-Sea won the backing of a parish council on Monday (October 31st).

Over a dozen residents living next to Lawrence Close, where developer Persimmon Homes wants to build a huge 51-home development on open land next to the former Worston Road refuse tip, attended a meeting of Burnham Without Parish Council (pictured above) where they spoke out against the proposals.

The controversial plans have been rejected twice before by Sedgemoor District Council - initially when the application was for 69 homes in the summer of 2009, then for 53 homes in 2010. Persimmon has since submitted a third planning application to Sedgemoor District Council for 51 homes.

Resident Roger Barry told the meeting: "This huge development would be completely out of keeping with surrounding properties and we feel would also be detrimental to this area of Burnham."

He added: "It would create traffic congestion due to unsuitable parking provision, and would also raise the flood risk in the area because the new homes would be built higher than existing properties."

Parish council Chairman Alistair Gordon said: "We have previously objected to this development twice before - it has been a long-running sore."

Parish council Clerk Richard Young reviewed some of the other residents' concerns, which include a loss of privacy due to overlooking properties, a lack of suitable, car parking provision, concern about the maintenance of ditches, and fears for several trees covered by preservation orders.

Councillors voted unanimously in favour of backing the residents in opposing the scheme.

Burnham Town Council's Planning Applications Committee also objected against the scheme earlier this year, however some aspects of the proposals were subsequently changed by Persimmon.

The scheme includes 11 two-bedroom homes, 29 three-bedroom houses and 11 four-bedroom houses, in addition to 88 car parking spaces.

Residents have until November 13th to submit their feedback on the scheme to Sedgemoor District Council when the council's development control committee is then due to make a decision.

Pictured: Top, residents at Monday's parish council meeting where the plans were considered. Above, the land next to Lawrence Close that is at stake

 


Bookmark and Share

Search Burnham-On-Sea.com|Add Burnham-On-Sea.com to your Bookmarks|Send a mail from Burnham-On-Sea.com|Print this page|Back to previous page|Discuss this article

Burnham-On-Sea Seafront Webcam
Burnham-On-Sea Webcam
24-hour live pictures
See live images of the seafront and beach with Burnham's Webcam. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Shops
Burnham-On-Sea Shopping Guide
Buy in Burnham!
Support local traders by shopping in town - see our A-Z index of businesses. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Video
Burnham-On-Sea Video
Burnham video news
Watch video highlights of events across Burnham with these video clips. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Photos
Burnham-On-Sea Photos

Photo gallery
Hundreds of photos from events across the Burnham-On-Sea area. Click here


Burnham-On-Sea What's On
What's On In Burnham-On-Sea
Things to see and do
Check the constantly updated Burnham-On-Sea.com calendar for what's happening. Click here