July 25, 2011
prompts call for Burnham-On-Sea rail crossing to be removed
train crossing on the outskirts of Burnham-On-Sea where a man
was killed on Sunday (July 24th) should be removed altogether,
the owner of a nearby holiday park has claimed this week.
yesterday that a man had been fatally struck by a passing
train on the crossing, pictured above, next to Home Farm Holiday
the full circumstances of the incident have yet to be released
by police, the owner of Home Farm says the crossing is dangerous
and should be removed.
Steve Atkinson told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "We have said for
several years that this crossing must be completely removed on
"Trains pass very quickly here next to a busy holiday park
- it is an unsuitable location for a public crossing."
He added: "Burnham-On-Sea.com reported
in 2007 that a group of children had been playing a lethal
game of 'chicken' here, demonstrating our concerns."
"And just a couple of years ago we saw a near fatality when
two dogs ran out in front of a train and our security staff had
to hold the owner back to avoid a serious accident."
added: "Six years ago, we wrote several formal letters about
withdrawing this crossing as a public access point, but they seemed
to be ignored."
Meanwhile, anyone with further information about Sunday's incident
has been asked by police to call British Transport Police on 0800
40 50 40 or via Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
A British Transport Police spokeswoman told Burnham-On-Sea.com:
"British Transport Police, Avon and Somerset Police and the
ambulance service responded to a report of a male having been
struck by a train at a foot crossing on Sunday morning. Upon arrival
at the scene the officers found the body of a male. This matter
is being investigated but is not being treated as suspicious.
The male's identity is not being released at this stage."
Pictured: The Burnham railway crossing where Sunday's incident