February 18, 2011
homes in Burnham-On-Sea area get surprise £25m boost
houses in the Burnham-On-Sea and Highbridge area are set to receive
much-needed improvements following a huge £25m cash injection
Homes in Sedgemoor and Sedgemoor District Council have this week
been allocated £25million of 'Decent Homes' funding from
the national housing and regeneration agency, the Homes and Communities
Agency (HCA), over four years.
The huge cash injection has been welcomed by both Homes in
Sedgemoor and Sedgemoor District Council, which set up the organisation
in 2007 to manage council-owned homes and to seek funding to improve
properties in need of repairs.
In the past, more than 80% of the council's housing stock failed
to meet the national Decent Homes Standard where they are wind
and weather tight, warm and have modern facilities.
The money will be used to bring council homes up to a modern
standard through Homes in Sedgemoor's Decent Homes Programme.
Given current Government cuts and the squeeze on budgets nationwide,
the funding boost is a major boost.
Bob Brown, Sedgemoor's Corporate Director, told Burnham-On-Sea.com:
"This is an excellent result for Sedgemoors tenants
at a time when public funding is being reduced across the country.
The hard work of Homes in Sedgemoor staff and tenants, with the
support of Sedgemoor District Council, has now borne fruit and
allows for much needed investment in our Council homes."
In late 2010 the Audit Commission deemed Homes in Sedgemoor to
be delivering a standard of service consistent with a two-star
rating, with excellent prospects for the future.
This placed the previously no-star organisation with
uncertain prospects, as one of the top performing social housing
landlords in the South West and placed them in an excellent position
from which they were able to bid for funding to improve homes.
In Sedgemoors 'Decent Homes' Programme will now begin from
the start of April 2011 and will carry through to 2015, resulting
in a huge investment into the Sedgemoor area during this period.
The organisation has pledged that local building resources will
be used, bringing job opportunities for skilled workers and local
Most importantly, council tenants whose properties have been waiting
for needed improvements will get warmer homes with modern facilities
that will be easier and cheaper to run.
Gary Orr, Chief Executive of Homes in Sedgemoor, said: "Weve
been on quite a journey since 2007 and are absolutely delighted
that our hard work has paid off with our inspection result late
last year and now the confirmed allocation of £25 million!
This is a pivotal factor in our future and more importantly the
future of our residents across Sedgemoor. The Homes in Sedgemoor
team are ready to deliver Decent Homes from April, and are committed
to continuously improving the quality of the housing and services
we provide to council tenants."
Chris Moseley, Chair of the Sedgemoor Tenants Voice, added: "It
is the result weve all been waiting for and the milestone
we have been working towards reaching for so long. We cannot wait
for the works to start and see Decent Homes become a reality."
And council leader Duncan McGinty said: "In these times when
all you hear about is cuts, it is heartening to hear this excellent
news. I am sure that Sedgemoor tenants will be pleased that all
the hard work put in by Homes in Sedgemoor and council staff and
members has paid off."
Council tenants will find out more about how the improvements
will be delivered from April 2011 onwards when they are contacted
by Homes in Sedgemoor as surveys and work begin in the Burnham-On-Sea
Pictured are Gary Orr, Chief Executive of Homes in Sedgemoor,
and Chris Moseley, Chair of the Sedgemoor Tenants Voice