delays decision on Burnham store's expansion by further year
has this week delivered a blow to Burnham's regeneration project
by saying it will not be proceeding with the multi-million pound
expansion of its Burnham-On-Sea store for at least another year.
supermarket giant exclusively told Burnham-On-Sea.com it is 'still
committed' to expanding its store in Ben Travers Way.
the Burnham store is not on its list of priority sites for expansion
in the short-term.
Tesco spokeswoman Emma Heesom told Burnham-On-Sea.com on Thursday:
"We are still committed to the extension of our Burnham-On-Sea
store but no decision will be made on whether it goes ahead for
another calendar year."
"In September 2012 we intend to be in a position to announce
what plans will be taken forward."
We reported last month that Tesco had said it was committed to
the expansion and that an announcement was due shortly, which
has now been made.
original expansion plans - which were approved by the district
council two years
ago - would lead to an extra 1,200 square metres of shopping
space being created along with additional parking and new jobs.
once the work begins, Tesco will give more than £300,000
to Burnham's town centre regeneration project as part of an RLT2
agreement struck with Sedgemoor District Council.
'community gain' was agreed between Sedgemoor and Tesco at the
time that the planning application was approved in order to enhance
the town's shopping environment and help compensate traders for
any potential lost trade.
the plans to pedestrianise Burnham High Street were axed
last month, the Civic Pride group still wants to use the money
to smarten up and modernise the town centre with new street furniture.