Published: December 3, 2012
Warning after Burnham-On-Sea fire crews called to chimney blaze

Firefighters in Burnham-On-Sea have issued a safety warning after being called to the village of Mark on Sunday (December 2nd) to tackle a chimney blaze.

Crews were called to a farm in Yarrow Road at around 3pm where the chimney was alight.

Although the fire was extinguished without serious damage, crews are urging homeowners in the Burnham area to check their chimneys.

A spokesman told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "Christmas is fast approaching and with the colder weather also arriving, cosy open fires are being lit. The fire service encourages residents to check their chimney is clean, safe and swept."

"Chimney fires can cause serious structural damage to a home, with the risks being even greater if the property has a thatched roof. The damage is not only fire based but also the dirt and smell left from all the soot and smoke, which would affect your personal property, including all your Christmas presents."

"Chimneys need to be dirt free to allow the free passage of dangerous combustion gasses, so regular cleaning will remove soot and creosote, and help prevent dangerous chimney fires. Make sure your chimney is swept regularly by a registered chimney sweep."

 


Bookmark and Share

Search Burnham-On-Sea.com|Add Burnham-On-Sea.com to your Bookmarks|Send a mail from Burnham-On-Sea.com|Print this page|Back to previous page|Discuss this article

Burnham-On-Sea Seafront Webcam
Burnham-On-Sea Webcam
24-hour live pictures
See live images of the seafront and beach with Burnham's Webcam. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Shops
Burnham-On-Sea Shopping Guide
Buy in Burnham!
Support local traders by shopping in town - see our A-Z index of businesses. Click here

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter See us on YouTube