firefighters called to chimney blaze in Highbridge
firefighters were called to tackle a chimney blaze in Highbridge
last night (Wednesday, October 10th).
fire engine was sent to The Clyce at 7.20pm, as pictured here,
hose reel jet was used to bring the blaze under control.
from the chimney were removed and cooled with water, as pictured
The chimney fire was in a wood burning stove and crews removed
the embers from a top plate, extinguishing it using chimney gear.
home escaped any serious damage and there were no injuries, but
Burnham Fire Station Officer Ian Hazelton said the incident was
a timely reminder about chimney safety as cooler weather arrives.
remind residents to make sure their chimneys are as safe as possible
throughout the winter months. Chimneys need to be dirt free to
allow the free passage of dangerous combustion gasses, so regular
cleaning removes soot and creosote, and helps prevent dangerous
chimney fires. Make sure your chimney is swept regularly by a
registered chimney sweep," he told Burnham-On-Sea.com.
should also check that their chimneys and flues are clean and
well maintained and free of any blockages like bird nests and
cobwebs. The chimney breast itself needs inspecting, particularly
in the roof space, making sure that it is sound and that sparks
or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks."