hears Burnham Scout leader 'forced boy to watch explicit film'
alleged child sex abuse victim was forced by former Burnham-On-Sea
scout leader David Burland to watch a pornographic film, a jury
heard on Tuesday (January 24th).
Mr Burland, 54, is accused of 33 sexual offences against children
aged under 16 over a 23-year period.
Giving evidence, an alleged victim who is now aged in his late
30s, told Taunton Crown Court that he had been sexually assaulted
as a scout and made to watch the film.
Mr Burland - who was suspended by the Scout Association last
year, denies all the charges.
The alleged victim, who was aged 14 at the time, said that Mr
Burland had taken him back to his home after a scout meeting and
had made him watch a pornographic film.
He told the jury he had not wanted to watch the film but the
defendant had forced him to.
He said: "I have never felt anything like it before or since.
I just wished the ground would open up."
The defence accused the witness of making up his story, to which
the alleged victim said: "That's simply not true."
The charges against Mr Burland relate to a period covering 23
years from November 1987 to November 2010 and include serious
sexual assaults and gross indecency. There are four alleged victims
in total, three boys and a girl.
On Monday, when the trial opened, prosecutor Ian Fenny described
Mr Burland as a "sexual predator" who manipulated his
victims. "He is skilled, he is manipulative and he hides
behind a cloak of respectability," said Mr Fenny.
The trial is expected to last two weeks.