Updated: December 23, 2012
Burnham couple thanks community for support after house blaze

A Burnham-On-Sea couple whose home was severely damaged in a fire last week have thanked the community for their support and offers of help.

Dave and Julie Isom, pictured, have had to move out of their Highbridge Road home over Christmas following the huge blaze last Thursday, which was caused by a faulty wi-fi router in an upstairs room.

Thousands of pounds of damage was caused to the whole upstairs of the property, as pictured below, and the couple have lost their clothes and many personal possessions.

But Dave and Julie, who are staying with their daughter, are keen to thank Burnham-On-Sea.com readers and nearby neighbours for their warm support.

"We have been bowled over by the kind offers of support and thank everybody who has come forward to offer us help," said Dave.

"The fire severely damaged the front bedroom and gone through the ceiling into the roof area. Extensive smoke damage has been caused to the whole first floor."

"It's only because the door to the front bedroom was closed that the whole house was saved because it would have spread so quickly. Downstairs, the damage has been limited to smoke damage."

He added: "Fortunately, no-one was hurt because we were out shopping at the time. We got home to hear a popping sound upstairs and lots of smoke."

"It was a terrible shock, but once the fire brigade had been called our next concern was for Bea, our 8-year-old cat, who I could hear crying upstairs."

"We thought we'd lost her. We were so relieved when she emerged out of the smoke after seveal minutes. While she was a lovely white colour before, she's now a sooty grey despite several baths but we're so pleased she's been given the all-clear by the vets."

"We are currently staying with our daughter over Christmas but are looking for short term rented accommodation for after Christmas."

"We are insured so hopefully in the coming months we will be able to get the house back into a good condition and move back at some point."

"The support, though, has just been tremendous with people on the Burnham-On-Sea.com forums offering us help and local neighbours knocking on our doors with help too."

"It really has been touching. It is wonderful to know that we are surrounded by such a caring community."

Pictured: Top, the couple outside their home; above, the fire-damaged bathroom inside the home and, below, the scenes elsewhere inside

The upstairs room where the fire started has been destroyed by the blaze

Clothes in cupboards have been ruined after being covered in soot

The scenes last Thursday when fire crews were called to the scene

 


Bookmark and Share

Search Burnham-On-Sea.com|Add Burnham-On-Sea.com to your Bookmarks|Send a mail from Burnham-On-Sea.com|Print this page|Back to previous page|Discuss this article

Burnham-On-Sea Seafront Webcam
Burnham-On-Sea Webcam
24-hour live pictures
See live images of the seafront and beach with Burnham's Webcam. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Shops
Burnham-On-Sea Shopping Guide
Buy in Burnham!
Support local traders by shopping in town - see our A-Z index of businesses. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Video
Burnham-On-Sea Video
Burnham video news
Watch video highlights of events across Burnham with these video clips. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Photos
Burnham-On-Sea Photos

Photo gallery
Hundreds of photos from events across the Burnham-On-Sea area. Click here


Burnham-On-Sea What's On
What's On In Burnham-On-Sea
Things to see and do
Check the constantly updated Burnham-On-Sea.com calendar for what's happening. Click here

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter See us on YouTube