Mary Portas town team put finishing touches to bid
finishing touches are being made to Burnham-On-Sea's bid to secure
a share of a £1million pot of regeneration funding for the
town, backed by retail guru Mary Portas.
group of 23 residents attended a meeting in Burnham's Princess
Theatre on Thursday night (March 22nd), as pictured here, when
the results of a town centre survey, filled in by over 200 people,
information is being used to help Burnham's Town Team write a
'vision' for the future of Burnham town centre, which forms a
core part of the funding bid.
of the team, Bev Milner-Simonds, said: "Some of the conclusions
from the survey are that there is support for pedestrianisation,
more farmer's markets, extra outdoor eating areas, a better range
of shops and many residents do no want the traditional, seaside
feel of the town to be altered."
Turco, who chaired Thursday's meeting, told Burnham-On-Sea.com:
"Lots of energy and enthusiasm has been shown and we thank
those who took part in our survey. There is still lots do do before
we finalise our bid, though, over the coming days."
added that letters of support are still required from local groups,
residents and businesses, which can be sent using this
template by email to here
by 5pm on March 28th.
short video to support Burnham's bid has been filmed in the town
earlier this week.
is competing against dozens of other towns across the country
who are all bidding for the chance to resuscitate their faltering
high streets with the help of cash from the government scheme
led by retail guru Mary Portas.
£1m pot will be shared out between 12 towns, with successful
bids able to receive up to £100,000 plus the benefit of
fund, made up of government cash, is one of a series of ideas
put forward by Mary Portas in an effort to halt the decline of
British high streets as shoppers head to out-of-town superstores
and increasingly shop online.
Burnham's Town Team discussing the Mary Portas bid on Thursday