Published: December 30, 2013
Fire crew called to tackle chimney blaze at West Huntspill home

Firefighters from Burnham-On-Sea were called to tackle a chimney blaze at a home in West Huntspill last night (Sunday, December 29th).

The owners of the property in Old Pawlett Road contacted the fire service at 8.20pm amid concern.

One fire appliance from Burnham attended and firefighters extinguished the blaze using specialist chimney equipment.

Crews are urging homeowners across the Burnham-On-Sea area to check their chimneys.

A spokesman told "With the colder weather, open fires are being lit and the fire service encourages residents to check their chimney is clean, safe and swept."

"Chimney fires can cause serious structural damage to a home, with the risks being even greater if the property has a thatched roof. The damage is not only from the fire but also the dirt and smell left from the soot and smoke, which would affect your personal property."

"Chimneys need to be dirt free to allow the free passage of dangerous combustion gasses, so regular cleaning will remove soot and creosote, and help prevent dangerous chimney fires."

Bookmark and Share

Search|Add to your Bookmarks|Send a mail from|Print this page|Back to previous page|Discuss this article

Burnham-On-Sea Seafront Webcam
Burnham-On-Sea Webcam
24-hour live pictures
See live images of the seafront and beach with Burnham's Webcam. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Shops
Burnham-On-Sea Shopping Guide
Buy in Burnham!
Support local traders by shopping in town - see our A-Z index of businesses. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea What's On
What's On In Burnham-On-Sea
Things to see and do
Check the constantly updated calendar for what's happening. Click here

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter See us on YouTube