cars destroyed in East Huntspill garage blaze accident
have concluded that a big blaze which destroyed two cars and left
one person in hospital in East Huntspill on Sunday evening (September
1st) was a terrible accident.
Three fire crews from Burnham-On-Sea and Bridgwater were called
to tackle the blaze at the rear of the Crown Stores village shop
in Church Road, East Huntspill shortly after 5.30pm.
Fire spokesman Paul Slavin said on Monday: "The cause is
not yet fully determined but it was an accident."
found a store and garage well alight with two vehicles inside
when they arrived.
Firefighters used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels, one
main jet and one compressed air foam jet to extinguish the fire.
"The garage - measuring ten by four metres - was 100% damaged
by the fire and a small quantity of asbestos was involved. There
was ten per cent damage to an adjacent building."
Several eyewitness, pictured above, saw the fire and one, Emily
Kick, said: "Several locals in the Crown pub next door came
outside and managed to quickly move away the gas bottles that
were next to the garage to avoid them being heated by the fire.
They probably avoided an explosion."
One casualty, a middle-aged man, was taken to hospital by ambulance
with minor injuries.