fire tears through Burnham homes, leaving substantial damage
residents are counting the cost of a major blaze which severely
damaged two homes in Burnham-On-Sea during the early hours of
homes were evacuated in Quantock Close as fire crews from across
Somerset tackled the blaze which began shortly after 12.30am.
electrical fault in an outbuilding is believed to have sparked
the fire, which quickly spread to a nearby terrace of homes.
Resident Simon Izard, pictured this morning surveying the roof
damage, told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "We are so fortunate that
my brother came home late from work and spotted the fire before
it had taken hold."
"He raised the alarm and managed to carry out my nan from
the house who is disabled and in her 60s. She was unhurt but really
shaken up by the whole thing."
"Four people were in the house at the time and it could
have been even more serious."
pictured below thanking his brother Peter, added: "Many of
our possessions from the upstairs rooms have been lost - we've
salvaged just 12 bags of things at the moment so it will take
a long time to get over this."
fire engines from Burnham were initially sent to Quantock Close
at 12.38am amid reports of a fire in an outbuilding.
1am the fire had spread to the roof area of the terrace and police
evacuated ten properties as a precaution.
1.15am, further fire engines from Bridgwater, Street and the aerial
ladder platform from Taunton were sent to the scene after it was
confirmed the fire was affecting two homes.
The ambulance service said an elderly female in her 60s who was
suffering from smoke inhalation received treatment on scene.
The incident was not fully completed until 6.15am. Crews confirmed
that the blaze had been started accidentally by an electrical
fault in a fridge freezer.