Published: July 9, 2013
Burnham-On-Sea family thanks well-wishers after huge fire guts home

A Burnham-On-Sea family whose home was severely damaged by a huge blaze on Monday (July 8th) have thanked well-wishers for their support.

As first reported here, ten homes were evacuated in Quantock Close when fire crews were called to tackle the huge blaze shortly after 12.30am which left two homes gutted.

An electrical fault with a fridge freezer in an outbuilding is believed to have started the fire, which quickly spread to the terrace of homes.

Resident Peter Massey had just got home from work when he spotted the fire and woke the family before moving his disabled mother from the home. She was treated for smoke inhalation by amabulance crews, but there were no other injuries.

Resident Simon Izard, pictured above with Peter, told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "The support from the local community has been superb - people we've never met before have been offering us help. They have been giving us teas, clothing and other items to help which has been just fantastic."

A second home next door which was understood not to be occupied was also damaged in the blaze.

Simon, right, added: "We are so fortunate that my brother came home late from work and spotted the fire before it had taken hold."

"He raised the alarm and managed to carry out my nan from the house who is disabled and in her 60s."

"Four people were in the house at the time and it could have been far more serious."

He added: "Many of our possessions from the upstairs rooms have been lost - we've salvaged just 12 bags of things at the moment so it will take a long time to get over this."

Two fire engines from Burnham were initially sent at 12.38am amid reports of the fire in an outbuilding. By 1am the fire had spread to the roof area of the terrace and police evacuated ten properties as a precaution.

By 1.15am, further fire engines from Bridgwater, Street and the aerial ladder platform from Taunton were sent to the scene after it was confirmed the fire was affecting two homes. The incident was not fully completed until 6.15am.

Crews confirmed that the blaze had been started accidentally by an electrical fault in a fridge freezer.

Simon inspecting the timbers of the roof after Monday's fire

The roof and upstairs rooms are a mangled mess after the blaze

A nearby resident took this photo of the smoke and fire on Monday

 


Bookmark and Share

Search Burnham-On-Sea.com|Add Burnham-On-Sea.com to your Bookmarks|Send a mail from Burnham-On-Sea.com|Print this page|Back to previous page|Discuss this article

Burnham-On-Sea Seafront Webcam
Burnham-On-Sea Webcam
24-hour live pictures
See live images of the seafront and beach with Burnham's Webcam. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Shops
Burnham-On-Sea Shopping Guide
Buy in Burnham!
Support local traders by shopping in town - see our A-Z index of businesses. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Video
Burnham-On-Sea Video
Burnham video news
Watch video highlights of events across Burnham with these video clips. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea What's On
What's On In Burnham-On-Sea
Things to see and do
Check the constantly updated Burnham-On-Sea.com calendar for what's happening. Click here

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter See us on YouTube