Carnival organisers to visit residents in bid to calm concerns
Carnival organisers are set to visit residents over the next few
days who will be most affected by controversial changes to this
year's event as the debate continues over the plans.
first reported last month
that the carts will this year be lined up along Love Lane
from the Tesco roundabout to where Stoddens Lane narrows; and
also along the Frank Foley Parkway from the Tesco roundabout to
the Wallace Wells Road roundabout.
carts will not gather along Queens Drive as in previous years
due to safety concerns raised by the police about access for emergency
several residents are concerned about late night noise, access
issues and disruption close to their homes over the carnival weekend.
Several have even proposed a blockade to halt carnival carts gaining
access to the area.
Chairman Phil New, pictured right, said this week: "We're
planning to visit the residents most effected to give them car
passes and also to try and put their minds at rest that there
will be as little disruption as possible."
had many phone calls on this in the last few weeks where concerns
have been raised, but the vast majority of residents do understand
why we are having to make these changes and are accepting them."
said he is aware of talk about a 'blockade' and he hopes this
will not go ahead on safety grounds.
local resident, Chris White, said: "I cannot believe it is
necessary to move carnival floats and heavy agricultural machinery
through a quiet housing estate in the middle of the night."
New has advised me that he is concerned about the amount of noise
the floats will generate on the Sunday in Love Lane and has given
instructions that there is to be no noise until 9am and not after
6pm on that day. Basically, he is washing his hands of any inconvenience
to the residents for a full nine hours on that particular Sunday
road closure restricting access to the estate is also a thoroughly
ill thought-out idea and likely to cause congestion on the Tesco
roundabout at times, let alone restrict access to peoples' homes."
But Phil New said this week that carnival organisers want to keep
the disruption to a minimum and are keen to answer any questions
or concerns that local people have. He added that a public meeting
is set to be held soon after this year's carnival on November
3rd for residents to air their views about how it went.