Highbridge homes hit by 10-hour power cut after accident
of homes in Highbridge were without power for over ten hours on
Thursday evening after a power line was accidentally cut by workmen.
Power Distribution confirmed to Burnham-On-Sea.com that 89 homes
in and around Sparks Way, pictured, were without electricity following
the cut to supplies which started just after 4pm yesterday.
last homes were reconnected at 2.50am in the early hours of Friday
Western Power spokesman said: "The outage was caused by cable
damage in the area which cut our low voltage supply. We
had 89 homes off during the interruption to the supplies and apologise
for the inconvenience to customers."
of those affected was local resident Mandy Williams who told Burnham-On-Sea.com:
"I couldn't get home for several hours because the road was
blocked by those repairing the damage - I'm concerned that I may
have to throw away a lot of defrosted food in my freezer."
fire crews were initially called to the scene after smoke was
seen emerging from the road area where the power line had been
construction work is currently underway on the nearby former cattle
market site where dozens of new homes are being built.
Western Power workers repairing the damaged power line