rescued by Burnham wildlife carers after tumbling down chimney
owl is in the safe hands of wildlife carers from Burnham-On-Sea
this week after being rescued when it tumbled down a chimney into
Volunteers from Secret World, based in East Huntspill, were called
to the house in Bawdrip on Tuesday.
Secret World's Debbie O'Keefe told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "The
barn owl had fallen down the chimney and was covered in soot."
"The owl was left to get over the initial stress and shock
in the morning and at tea time it was decided that it needed to
have a wash. We are not able to use any soap on the owl's feathers
as this does damage them. Birds have special waterproofing on
their feathers which enables them to remain dry during the wet
its shower, the owl was left to dry out in an incubator before
being put in an aviary to recover."
"The good news is that it doesn't appear to have any other
injuries, however it may take another few washes and time before
the normal beautiful white plumage of the barn owl is resumed."
She added that no-one really knows why owls and other birds fall
down chimneys. "One theory is that now that we use solid
fuel, there is no smoke just fumes and as rooftops are high replacing
natural habitats like tree tops, birds sit against the chimney
pots as they provide warmth."
"Sadly they can become drowsy and overcome by fumes and
can end up tumbling into and down the chimney. We urge homeowners
that have an open fire to take the necessary precautions by covering
their chimneys to avoid birds falling in."