man suffers terrible burns after e-cig battery explodes
man who lives near Burnham-On-Sea has been left with horrific burns
after the battery for his e-cigarette exploded in his pocket.
Vearncombe from Rooksbridge may need skin grafts after his jeans
went up in flames.
leg is an ugly mess of burnt flesh, he spent four days in hospital
and may yet need a skin graft - all his injuries came from a small
battery used with his e-cigarette.
says he charged the battery properly and put it in his pocket as
he prepared to go out with his wife.
then, Jim says, things went badly wrong: "I felt it getting
warm, it was getting very warm so I literally put my hand in my
pocket to pull it out and it exploded in my jeans."
made a massive hole in my jeans and it obviously damaged my leg,
I screamed for my wife, I ran over to the hallway and then it vented,
which means it went off like a Roman Candle down my jeans."
ripped my jeans open and my wife was alarmed and ran to the sink
and chucked all the water over me that was in the sink and then
ran outside and put the hosepipe on me."
three weeks after the accident Jim is able to do some work at his
firm making deluxe baths, but the accident cost him time and money
as well as pain.
thinks the battery my have shorted out after coming into contact
with coins in his pocket. Jim had to take time off from work which
cost him money as he runs his own company
work colleague uses an e cigarette that's designed differently,
it has a built in battery. But Jim says nothing will make him use