night fire drama at seafront flats in Burnham-On-Sea
Burnham-On-Sea man has told how he helped to evacuate residents
from a block of seafront flats after a fire broke out late on
Friday evening (March 18th).
fire crews from Burnham and Bridgwater were called to The Esplanade
at 11.40pm after a kitchen fire in a flat, as pictured here.
Tony Fleming said: "I had just got back and saw toxic smoke
billowing out of the next door neighbour's upstairs window."
alarms were going off, so I ran around to the front, banged on
the doors, and rang every door bell to get the people out from
the six flats. When I opened the letter box, a plume of toxic
smoke came out."
lots of shouting, and with some help from someone walking past,
we got everyone out safely while calling the fire brigade."
added: "With their breathing apparatus on, the fire crew
checked every flat and made sure the fire was out, while the ambulance
checked that everyone was OK."
his actions meant the fire was quickly extinguished. A spokesman
for the fire service told Burnham-On-Sea.com no-one had been hurt
in the incident, which had been caused by food left unattended
on a cooker. The damage was limited to severe smoke logging.