calls for urgent safety improvements at Brean's Pontins
worried father has called for urgent safety improvements to be made
at Pontins holiday park in Brean after he claims a bare electrical
cable in his familys room put his toddlers life in danger.
Crispin stayed at the Pontins Brean Sands site with his wife, Lorraine,
and their two-year-old son Finbar in October, spending £39
on the holiday.
instead of enjoying a pleasant seaside break, the family, who are
from Swansea, say they experienced filthy accommodation, broken
appliances and poor quality food. But by far the most serious issue
was the rooms broken towel rail, they say.
wife was taking a shower and my son was playing on the bathroom
floor," says Niall.
noticed the towel rail was turned on and completely unprotected;
there was a live 240V feed into it which was exposed in a room with
my two-year-old child in it."
the sections that should be covered by the black protector were
exposed and you could see a bare electrical cable. It looked like
it had been that way for a while."
on-site electrician confirmed it was live and when asked confirmed
it would have killed my child instantly if he touched it."
willing to spend another night at Pontins, the family checked in
to a local hotel.
were large sections of dirt and grime in every corner of the room,"
he said, "black spore mould on the curtains, graffiti on the
door frames, damaged furniture, holes and damage to the walls."
not on. Hardworking people who cant afford other holidays
shouldnt have to put up with that. The very least you should
have is somewhere safe and clean."
says he has received no response in trying to get Pontins to investigate,
and has had emails and phone calls ignored.
invited Pontins and Britannia Hotels to comment on the issues, but
we have received no response.
is over five years since Britannia took over Pontins. The
condition and cleanliness of Brean Pontins was the focus of BBC1's
Watchdog show in 2011.