Highbridge public toilets stay shut after 'deliberate' blaze
block of public toilets in Highbridge that was damaged by fire in
a 'deliberate' blaze earlier this week is to stay closed until next
Burnham-On-Sea.com first reported
here, two fire crews from Burnham-On-Sea were called to the
Bank Street car park in the town centre at 2.40pm on Monday, as
District Council, which manages the facilities, has closed them
Claire Faun told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "We have decided to keep
the loos closed until about Tuesday next week. The detergent and
steam cleaner we used did a good job, but we have decided to let
it soak over the weekend, steam clean again, and retest the electrics
before we open. There is a notice in place directing people to Apex
service spokesman said the fire service was called to a report of
smoke coming out of the public toilets.
arrival crews found smoke issuing from the toilet block, and crews
got to work with two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and
a thermal imaging camera," he added.
is believed the fire was started deliberately, causing 10% fire
damage and 40% smoke damage to the building."