dog owner's warning after pet eats discarded canister
Burnham-On-Sea resident has warned fellow dog owners to be vigilant
about the dangers of nitrous oxide canisters discarded in the town.
Paul's beagle, called Ruggers, became 'agitated' after eating one
of the small metal canisters after walking in the fields next to
Burnham-On-Sea's Frank Foley Parkway.
told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "We were walking in the fields during
Friday's snow and I noticed he spent a long time in one part of
the field - I thought he was just eating some grass."
after getting home, he became agitated a couple of hours later and
he didn't settle for the rest of the day."
kept a close eye on him and he was still out of sorts on Saturday
until he passed one of the canisters."
were shocked and called Bridge Vets to find out if what he'd done
vets said they'd never heard of a case like this, so contacted the
poisons unit, who said they hadn't heard of this before either."
did say it was lucky the canister didn't contain zinc or lead because
if it had been pierced it could have caused my dog internal burns."
added: "Ruggers has never eaten anything like this before,
but I suppose you don't know what they smell like to a dog."
think local dog owners should be aware of the dangers of these discarded
canisters. I see them about all the time, discarded in parks and
on the beach."
an eye out for them and check your dog doesn't eat them."
oxide is a colourless gas that when inhaled can make people feel
euphoric and relaxed.
effects of the gas have seen it nicknamed "laughing gas",
but it can also cause some people to have hallucinations and other
oxide is normally bought in pressurised canisters and is then transferred
to a container such as a balloon to be inhaled, hence why the canisters
are often seen discarded.
Lainey Paul with her dog Ruggers and, above, the small nitrous oxide
canisters that are often seen discarded (Wikimedia Commons)