see Burnham Historical Photos and
interactive 360 degree panormic photos
development of the seafront at Burnham-on-sea began in 1911 when the
reinforced concrete widewalk pavement and wall were constructed.
Esplanade Pavilion, used as a theatre for many
years, replaced a Victorian bandstand.
development of the South Esplanade, from the jetty to the mouth of the
Brue, took place some 20 years later in 1931.
Marine lake brought safer sea swimming
It was also in 1931 that the Marine Lake structure was completed. The
lake was used for boating and bathing and was was filled naturally by
the high tidal waters. The old enemy - river silt and mud - eventually
rendered the structure unsafe and the lake was never brought fully into
use again after its closure during the war. See our historical
photo gallery for photos of the lake in use.
£7.5 million sea defences
The current impressive sea wall was inaugurated on June 16, 1988 as
a result of the damage done to during the huge storms of December 1981
when the town was inundated with sea water. The wall is just over one
mile long and cost £7.5 million to build.
One of the biggest changes to the seafront in the 1900s was the opening
of the Burnham-On-Sea
Holiday Village in May 1963.
was developed on the 95-acre site of the Pillsmouth Farm, which belonged
to the Stone family until its development.
grounds of the development are situated between the Esplanade and the
Highbridge Road and adjoin on to the area now known as Apex Park. This
area has been fully landscaped with grassland and lakes replaced the
old tile works.
BURNHAM-ON-SEA HISTORY LINKS:
Other Burnham buildings
The Burnham Lifeboat
Burnham Historical Photos
St Andrew's Church
Important Dates in Burnham's history