parish church of
Saint Andrew (seen here in our photo) stands on the seafront
and has always been a focal point of the town.
The original piece comprised a tableau of cherubs, flanked by two angels mounted on pedestals. The altar piece was later moved to Westminster Abbey, where it was placed behind the High Alter.
It remained there until 1820 when the Bishop of Rochester, who was also the vicar of Burnham, acquired it and used fragments to decorate the Chancel of Saint Andrews. The sculptures are now dispersed over various parts of the interior of the building, including the nave windows and behind the altar.
leaning church tower
Near the church stands the house named Tregunter. This house stands on the site of an old farmhouse, which was owned by the Roper family.
The sons of farmer Roper fought at the Battle Of Sedgemoor, and were deported to America by Judge Jeffries.
The house was bought by John Gunter, a chef to King George The Third in 1760 and he lived there for 60 years.
house that stands now was rebuilt in 1826 and the original cellars of
the house were reported to be connected by secret passages to the Church
and the Old Vicarage for smuggling purposes but if indeed this was so,
they have long been blocked by sand.