Warning messages are set to remain in place around Highbridge’s Apex Park lakes after new tests this week revealed ‘potentially toxic’ algae is still present.

Burnham-On-Sea and Highbridge dog walkers have been urged to stay away from the lakes since July when the algae was first identified.

Sedgemoor District Council spokesperson Claire Faun told Burnham-On-Sea.com this weeki: “We analysed the samples and confirm that the blue green algae levels are still above the threshold.”

“A scum formed when the samples were left undisturbed, indicating levels above the threshold. In addition, our biologist counted the algae filaments and confirmed that the algae levels were above the threshold. Signs will therefore need to remain in place.”

The water, if touched, could cause skin irritation or an ‘upset stomach’ and can be dangerous to dogs.

The green algae has been a frequent occurence during periods of hot weather over recent years.

As a precaution, visitors have been advised to stay away from the water and dog owners have been advised to keep their pets from entering the lakes.

Visitors should also avoid “prolonged contact” with the lake and avoid eating the area’s fish where algae is present.

The council is urging visitors not to swim in the water, not to let dogs in the water or let them drink it, nor to swallow the water, and to avoid contact with the algae, not to eat fish caught from the water, and to observe and abide by any warning notices positioned around the water.