Burnham-On-Sea and Cheddar firefighters were called out early on Saturday morning to a hotel fire caused by an unattended candle.

Two fire engines rushed to The Oak House Hotel in The Square, Axbridge just after 1.30am.

The fire service had received a call from a resident reporting the alarms were sounding due to a confirmed fire.

A fire service spokesman told Burnham-On-Sea.com: “Whilst on the call, we spoke to a passer-by who was making a delivery opposite, he had heard the alarm sounding and noticed a fire within the property.  The male entered the building and was able to extinguish most of the fire using a fire extinguisher.”

Josh King, 22, was delivering papers to the Co-Op opposite The Oakhouse Hotel at around 1.30am when he saw the fire and managed to gain entry to put it out before it spread.

“Once the fire crew from Cheddar arrived on scene, they entered the property using two  breathing apparatus wearers and one hose reel jet.”

“This was a fire within the bar area of the hotel/public house caused by an unattended candle which ignited a picture frame and artificial flowers.”

“The fire was extinguished using a fire extinguisher, 1 hose reel jet, thermal imaging camera, 2 breathing apparatus and small tools.  The property was ventilated using 2 positive pressure ventilation fans.”

“The cause of the fire was accidental and duty of care was left with on site management.”

The Oakhouse Hotel issued a statement: “We are feeling incredibly thankful today! In the early hours of this morning we suffered a fire in the reception area of the hotel.”

“However thanks to the quick thinking of our colleague Simon from The Lamb and our amazing team and of course Cheddar and Burnham fire stations the damage was limited.”

“We are also thankful that all of our systems and procedure that we train with worked and the hotel was evacuated without incident and our guests well looked after.”

“Mostly however I am amazed and in awe of our amazing team who have accomplished the impossible and have the hotel, if a little battered and bruised ready to receive guests again this lunchtime.”

“My family and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all that you have all done.”


Subscribe to our news updates and join our other subscribers.
No spam, we promise. You can unsubscribe at any time and we'll never share your details without your permission. View our privacy page