A grandmother who was injured when part of a heating duct at Brean’s Pontins holiday park collapsed on top of her has been moved to intensive care after her health deteriorated.

Hayley Kendle told ITV News that her mum, Wendy Jones, 67, had been lucky to escape with her life after the incident in Brean last Wednesday, February 20th.

Eighteen people were injured – seven of whom were taken to hospital – following the collapse of an air conditioning and heating duct in Brean Sands’ main entertainment room.

Hayley had gone to pick up Bingo sheets when there was a ‘loud bang’, and she turned around and said ‘complete hysteria’ had broken out.

“People were shouting and screaming, they were running around,” said Hayley.

“Everyone was telling us to get out, we didn’t know if more was going to fall in on us. I just knew I had to get to mum.”

Hayley, from Hereford, quickly returned to where her mum had been sitting in her mobile scooter. Thanks to the help of bystanders, they were able to pull her from the rubble.

Wendy was rushed to Weston General Hospital and underwent an operation on her hip but sadly her condition deteriorated and she was moved into intensive care.

Hayley¬†said: “She’s not in a good way. They [Pontins] keep saying people only have minor injuries. She doesn’t remember much about it, she hasn’t been herself.”

Pontins said in a statement: “Following the recent incident at Brean Sands, we take the health and safety of all our guests and staff extremely seriously.”

“The company is deeply shocked that any guest has suffered an injury caused by any accident.”