24 firefighters from Burnham-On-Sea, Bridgwater and Cheddar tackled a big fire involving a barn and caravan that left one person with minor injuries early on Sunday morning (December 1st).
Crews were initially called to Notting Hill Way in Axbridge at 5.21am and spent much of the day until 6.15pm in the evening bringing the huge blaze fully under control.
A man suffered smoke inhalation and minor burns, prompting crews to administer oxygen and request an ambulance for him.
A fire spokesman said: “One fire appliance from Cheddar and one from Burnham-On-Sea were mobilised to a static caravan on fire.”
“On arrival, crews confirmed the fire was spreading to an adjacent barn, and requested a further 2 appliances, both coming from Bridgwater.”
“Crews then requested a water carrier due to insufficient water supplies. A water carrier from Bridgwater was sent.”
“Crews were working with two breathing apparatus wearers and three hose reel jets attempting to extinguish the fire and prevent further fire spread.”
“Crews requested the telehandler to attend, which was sent from Clyst St George.”
“One male was suffering with smoke inhalation and minor burns on scene. Crews administered oxygen and requested an ambulance to attend.”
“At 7.23am, crews confirmed asbestos was involved in the incident, within the roof, but not currently involved in fire. Crews were using hose reels to keep it cool.”
Updated at 5pm on Sunday: “Crews are making steady progress clearing the barn of its contents, assisted by the farmer and their machinery, and continue to firefight with 2 hose reel jets. We currently have relief crews in attendance from Shepton Mallet, Taunton and Burnham-on-Sea.”
Updated at 6.15pm on Sunday: “All appliances have now left scene and the incident is closed. The cause was deemed as accidental ignition. The caravan was completely destroyed, and the barn sustained severe damage including the contents.”
Pictured: Crews at the scene (Photos Burnham Fire Station)