Burnham-On-Sea’s Pier Street car park continues to be the most profitable car park in the area, according to figures from Sedgemoor District Council.
A report published by Sedgemoor District Council shows the authority earned £1.1m in gross income from parking charges during the period 2017-2018 and made £698,500 in net parking income, up seven per cent on the year before.
As in previous years, Burnham’s car parks make up most of the top places in Sedgemoor’s highest-earning locations, with Bridgwater, Highbridge and Cheddar also featured on the list.
According to the report, the top most profitable car parks in Sedgemoor in 2017/18 were:
- Burnham-On-Sea Pier Street: £279,555
- Bridgwater Mount Street: £164,548
- Cheddar Cliff Street: £92,759
- Burnham-On-Sea Oxford Street: £91,823
- Burnham-On-Sea Lynton Road: £83,293
- Bridgwater Dampiet Street: £72,333
- Cheddar Church Street: £70,852
- Burnham-On-Sea Berrow Road: £41,786
- Bridgwater Barclay Street: £36,122
- Bridgwater Market Street: £35,772
- Bridgwater Northgate: £21,243
- Highbridge Bank Street: £18,178
- Bridgwater Eastover Short Stay: £13,178
Cllr Dawn Hill, deputy leader of the council, says: “Charges remained the same as the previous year and generated a steady income to cover the cost of the car park service and support other services provided by the Council.”
“Our policy is to meet the parking needs of our towns with provision appropriate for the shopper, commuter and visitor. We aim to achieve this by operating well-managed and maintained car parks, offering a value for money service.”
Of the 800,000 visits to the car parks each year across Sedgemoor, Penalty Charge Notices were issued on 2,787 visits, earning £63,133 of income.